Regular services for the public have been suspended.
The following is an extract from the book “Hethe-with-Adderbury” by Joy Grant:
“1682 – a list of Roman Catholics in Hethe:
Edward Justice and his wife
John Gill and his wife
The wife of Emanuel Newton
Ann Smith (a poor widow)
Jane the wife of John Dagley
Mary Harris (a poor widow)
All believed to be poor people who are, or have been, labourers under Richard Fermor at Tusmore House.”
The Leith connection with Hethe
We are grateful to Brian Hardyman for the following.
“Situated in the Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church, Hethe, are eight windows designed by Francis Barnet, a stained glass artist from Leith, Scotland. Francis Barnet was a member of a family of stained glass artists who designed many windows for Catholic Churches in England, Scotland and Ireland.
“The Barnet family were originally from London and were of the Jewish faith. Solomon, a London glass cutter, moved to Hull in the late 1700s, moving on to York in the early 1800s. Here they converted to Catholicism. John Joseph Barnet, the son of Solomon, was born in Hull and became a glass cutter and stainer in York. This was the beginning of the Barnet family becoming stained glass artists in York and other areas of the British Isles.
“John Joseph Barnet had three sons including Francis who moved to Leith, Scotland, in the 1850s where he set up a stained glass studio in collaboration with Pugin. With the link with Pugin they were able to design windows for many Catholic Churches. Augustus Welby Pugin (1812 – 1852) was an English architect, designer, artist and critic. He is remembered for his pioneering role in the Gothic Revival style and particularly the interior design of the Palace of Westminster. Pugin designed many churches in England, and some in Ireland and Australia. His two sons continued his architectural firm as Pugin & Pugin.
“In 1832 eight stained glass windows designed by Francis Barnet were placed in the Holy Trinity, Hethe, commemorating the Collinridge family from Hardwick. Francis Barnet married Ann Collinridge in 1838 in London. After the death of Francis in 1882 his son William Collinridge Barnet took over the business until his death in 1925 when his wife and daughters continued to run the business. The business ceased in 1950.
“Other members of the Barnet family established stained glass studios in Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland and Manchester but were not as prolific as Francis of Leith.”