The village pub is called The Muddy Duck. It features a traditional pub and beer garden for a relaxing drink and snack whilst also boasting an award winning restaurant.
Further details can be found at www.themuddyduckpub.co.uk
The Muddy Duck is a Grade II listed building dating from the late 17th/early 18th century with 20th and 21st century alterations.
It has been the subject of at least two name changes. It was known as the Maltsers Arms until it was restored by Thomas Whitmore in the early 19th century, who then renamed it after himself. Thomas Whitmore was a member of a Shropshire family, who rented Hethe House during the period 1808 to 1811 from John Harrison, squire of the Shelswell Estate.
The landlord of the Whitmore Arms from 1823 to 1826 was William Blencowe. William owned other properties in Hethe, including the “Off Licence” in Main Street, now known as “The George”. His company, W Blencowe & Co Ltd, later owned many pubs in the area and at least two breweries, including one in Brackley and another in Cannock. Most, if not all, of the company’s property was sold by auction in October 1925. The Cannock brewery was bought by Butlers Ales. The Brackley brewery and Hethe “Off Licence” were bought by Halls Oxford & West Brewery.